6.28.2014

Calendar Girls -- Freedom Rings!

Hi all!  Happy Saturday! 
 Today is the 28th of the month - the day the Calendar Girls
SCS crafty group post our cards with a chosen theme. 


 
 This month, our hostess is Deb and she gave us a lot to reflect :]
 This is her challenge:

Since we are the CALENDAR Girls I was thinking we should make cards that reflect the months of the year or days of the week.

I found these sayings about a few of the months:

Slow as Molasses in January
January Brings a New Year
Beware the Ides of March (William Shakespeare "Julius Caesar")
March, In Like a Lion Out Like a Lamb
April Showers Bring May Flowers
June is Bustin' Out All Over (Oscar Hammerstein)
July Fireflies Bring August Skies
September Leaves Gives Chance for October Scares

And here are some yearly days of the week.:

Fat Tuesday
Black Friday
Good Friday
Palm Sunday

So the challenge is to make a card that reflects your interpretation of one of the above sayings about the months or one of the four listed days. (Maybe you know another saying about months of the year you like. You can use that saying.)  In your blog post let us know what saying or day your card reflects.



So!  My card today reflects the month of July and I actually took Deb's
offer to use one that reflects that month.  As a child growing up in a military
family, and as a sister to an active duty soldier still, I knew I wanted
to use July's celebration of freedom.
Recently, my husband was hospitalized and while I was waiting
for him to finish some tests, I remember the multitude of trips
that I took to the VA with my father.  He lost his battle with
cancer but before he passed away, he certainly didn't go without a fight.
The doctor's very sternly told him he had 3-6 months to live as the cancer
had metastasized.  He, however said, "Nope, no I don't -- I ain't ready to go yet."  He surpassed the odds and gave us 3 glorious more years
One of dad's favorite sayings was "Freedom isn't Free".
Dad's birthday is 2 weeks from today ~ he would have been turning 70.

In honor of my dad, for his July birthday and service to our country,
Here is my Calendar Girl saying:
"One flag, one land, one heart, one hand."
(Can I get an AMEN!)

 
And here is my card, using the ever adorable Flag Riley,
(From Riley and Company Stamps!)
 

 
Please be sure stop by the other Calendar Girls blogs,
you can find them in my sidebar,
and see what they've done this month!
 
As always,
Big Hugs, Bigger Blessings!
~Kelly

I'll enter this into:  Open Minded Crafting#13 - Patriotic Colors
Pumpkin Spice - Red, White and Blue
Little Red Wagon - Animal Antics
                                                        City Crafter - Red White and Blue
Paper Pretties - - Red, White and Blue
DLArt Thankful Thursday - Patriotic


28 comments:

  1. Terrific card and story, Kelly. I enjoyed reading your post. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love the texture on the striped paper. The layout is great and the little bit different color of blue looks good.

    Happy Birthday Kelly's Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, AMEN! Wonderful card for the 4th of July or any of our patriotic holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect Kelly. The card and saying ROCK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glorious card Kelly - and I love your tribute to your soldiers, both nationally and personally.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Kelly! You dad certainly had the right attitude about things.
    Of course I love your card! Red, white, and blue and Riley too!!!! Precious!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. AMEN!!! What a fab memory of your Dad- never give up on an honorable fight! LOVE this darling Riley and your DP is awesome!!! Love the month you chose : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wondefful tribute to your Dad with this gorgeous card.
    Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen, Kelly !! Great memory of your Dad and i think we was right: Never give up and enjoy life :-)

    Super cute Riley card. I love the red, blue, white USA color combi anyway and your layout is great.

    PS: YES, please join us over @ From the Heart Stamps. The next Free Stamp of the Month Challenge starts next week. Maybe a good start to join ?! Just to let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll give you a big AMEN! What a fabulous Dad and with an awesome attitude. I know you miss him dearly. Your card is just as cute as it gets. I LOVE patriotic cards.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simply adorable!
    Would love for you to join us at Craftin Desert Divas Linky Party.
    Have a wonderful day,
    Migdalia
    *Crafting With Creative M*


    ReplyDelete
  12. Great card! Perfect for July 4th. Thanks for joining us at Little Red Wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this!! The papers are fabulous and the image is so adorable!! What a fun card!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful card for remembering your Dad and what July means to you. I always love seeing Riley on a card and that red paper is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely post and your card is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So fun! Love the banners on this! My girls pulled out the calendar today because we are almost into our 30 day countdown of back to school!! Carri~Abusybee
    Skittles!
    DoubleClick Skittles Design Team Call!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is soooo cute! Just love the layout and the great DP.

    Thanks for joining our fortnightly challenge here at Open Minded Crafting Fun Challenge. Hope you will join us next time co-owner Crafting Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kelly I love this card! It is so bright and beautiful. Your father was right with his saying and I am so glad you chose to share it with us and make a card in honor of your military family history. WONDERFUL!!!!!! THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE SERVED OR ARE SERVING! AND THANK YOU TO YOUR FAMILIES TOO!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wonderful wonderful card..a great tibute to your Dad...You had me in tears...Love the tangible *LOVE* I could read through your lines...Your Dad was an amazing person...definetly like his way of thinking!! Again,your card is truly
    AMAZING Kells! *TFS* ♥ xox

    ReplyDelete
  20. Super fun card Kelly! Can you believe 4th of July is already here! Wow!!! Love the fun bright papers and your pretty design.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super fun card Kelly! Can you believe 4th of July is already here! Wow!!! Love the fun bright papers and your pretty design.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Outstanding Card Kelly. I too love the 4th of July and everything Patriotic! Wonderful Layout!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a terrific card! Thanks so much for playing along at CCCB!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so sweet. I love it. o patriotic - great sayings for the months- fun to read.
    Thank you for joining my DL.ART Thankful Thursday Patriotic Challenge. Have a blessed day
    DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com http://dianamlarson.ctmh.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. So cute!! LOVE that paper.. especially the firework paper! Love how you added the buttons! Love Riley!! Absolutely adorable!! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Open-Minded Crafting Fun Challenges!!! Good Luck! I hope we see you again!!

    - Susan, Co-Owner @ Open-Minded Crafting Fun Challenges
    {Scrap A Thousand Words}

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a wonderful card! Thanks so much for playing along at CCCB!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your story about your dad and his strength. Great sentiment for your card and I completely agree: freedom isn't free!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You really need to give tissue alerts when you create posts like these! Such a wonderful way to honor your father and all in the military! Your patriotic card is perfect and I love your quote! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete